Welcome to the cave of greatest importance for bats in all North-Western Bulgaria! A colony of more than 2 000 individuals from several different species spends the winter here. Magura Cave serves as a winter roost for a colony of 450 lesser horseshoe bats, too – a record number for the species in Bulgaria.
In different seasons of the year a total of 8 species of bats live in Magura Cave; they all have a priority conservation status for all Europe:
- Greater horseshoe bat – Rhinolophus ferrumequinum
- Lesser horseshoe bat – Rhinolophus hipposideros
- Mediterranean horseshoe bat – Rhinolophus euryale
- Greater mouse-eared bat – Myotis myotis
- Lesser mouse-eared bat – Myotis blythii
- Geoffroy’s bat – Myotis emarginatus
- Bechstein’s bat – Myotis bechsteinii
- Long-fingered bat – Myotis capaccinii
Bulgaria boasts 33 out of the 35 bat species which can be found in Europe. All bats in Bulgaria are under the protection of the national Biodiversity Act, and the long-fingered bat and the Mediterranean horseshoe bat are also included in the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species!